Tuesday, July 4, 2017


              Using Apple Cider as Hair Conditioner- Does It Really Work?

     One of the things that annoys me about health and beauty articles is the somewhat authoritarian way that the writers dispense advice, without ever mentioning any one person- especially themselves- who has actually tried and used the product. At least, most of them don't. Some of the posts and articles make me wonder....does that actually work? Or is someone just filling up article or blog space?

    I ran across one of these recently and decided that for Shelli Shouts, I'd go ahead and try it out and report the results. I was reading up on good hair conditioners and came across articles like the one below, touting the use of apple cidar vinegar as a hair conditioner. (There are many such articles; I chose this one as it gives numerous good reasons to use apple cider vinegar on one's hair). 



  Wait! I know apple cider vinegar is great in a salad dressing, great for detoxes and general health, but...hair conditioner?  Firtst of all, what about the SMELL?  Want to go for a romantic evening with a special person, and have a seductive slow dance with a special lover, where the scent of my hair wafts up to his yearning nostrils, and the scent is...apple cider vinegar? I don't think so.
   So I decided to try it. One thing I do know is that apple cider vinegar is a very good, non toxic solvent for counter top grease. So it stands to reason that vinegar would minimally dissolve the gummy deposits that build up on ones hair over time, from regular conditioner and other hair products. For that alone it was worth a try.

   I put some in a spray bottle, sprayed on a goodly amount and rubbed it in after shampooing. One thing I have to say that is different about using apple cider vinegar for hair conditioner is that you'd better make sure not to get it in your eyes. It stings like hell! Lesson learned.

    I then rubbed it in well, and did not leave it in for long, lest it then dissolve hair dye in my hair. None of the articles I read mentioned anything about the effect vingar might have on hair coloring.  I rinsed it well.

   To my surprise, my hair did comb out smoothly and nicely. And when it dried, my hair was glossy and fluffy and definitely cleansed of all the residue that had made it clumpy and limp. It did give my hair a good "re-boot", so to speak. And my hair coloring was not affected at all.

   Since then, I have not used apple cider vinegar solely, but use it every three washes or so to keep my hair squeaky clean. It works great, and I'm happy to verify that apple cider vinegar DOES make a good conditioner and clarifier. (I have received no kickbacks for free or discounted products for saying this.)

   And about the smell? Yes, for a little while after I dried my hair, that sharp smell did waft around me, making me feel like part of a salad. But, because it is a natural substance with no chemicals that artificially preserve fragrance, it dissipated after about 30 minutes. 

  That said, I still wouldn' t use it on the same day as that hot date for slow dancing. Just sayin'.

  For any apple cider vinegar uses, I recommend Bragg's Organic apple cider vinegar, which is the highest quality, has a very good price, and is easily found in a grocery store or health food store. Then you can use it for salads as well!

  Where I live in Southern California, a bottle of Bragg's AC vineger is about $6.00 in a grocery or health food store. If you cannot find it in your area, you can get it on Amazon:


     Hope you found this data useful. As Apple Cider Vinegar is natural, inexpensive, and not a "hip" brand of hair conditioner, you won't see much advertising about it. I thought to give it a good word in my blog. 

    #AppleCiderVinegar,#NaturalHairConditioner,#BraggsAppleCiderVinegar,#ShelliShouts,#ClarifyingHairConditioner 

No comments:

Post a Comment